Posted: September 26, 2017
We all know that texting and driving is a problem. In fact, distracted driving kills 9 people in car accidents each day. In New Jersey, it is illegal to use a hand-held device while driving, and it is a primary offense to text and drive, meaning that an officer can pull you over and ticket you for texting and driving.
However, these facts and threats do little to deter texting and driving or using other mobile phone apps while driving. Surveys have shown that although the majority of drivers know that use of their cell phone while driving is dangerous, they still text and drive!
Smart phones have become such a ubiquitous part of our lives that we may not even realize when we are glancing at them while driving. One of the best ways to ensure that you are driving without distraction is to use an app that blocks access to your phone while you are behind the wheel.
Picking the Best Distracted Driving App for You
There are a lot of distracted driving apps in the app stores. Apple even released a Do Not Disturb driving setting with its most recent IOS. So there are plenty of choices to help you drive without distractions. When looking for an app ask yourself:
- Will this app work with my phone? Some apps are designed only for IOS or Android.
- Can I block messages, phone calls, and other app notifications? Be sure to get a comprehensive app that blocks all the distractions that can come from your phone.
- Does the app alert senders that I’m driving? Many apps will auto-reply for you that you are behind the wheel and will respond later, so no one thinks you are being rude by not immediately responding.
- Will the app read texts to me? Some apps will turn texts into speech that you can respond to, although this can still distract you from the task at hand behind the wheel.
- Does the app provide parental notifications? If you are downloading the app for your teenager’s phone, it is important to select one that can notify you of their driving habits.
- Will the app track the miles you’ve driven safely? This can help motivate you to maintain safe driving habits.
- Does the app offer rewards for safe driving? Some apps offer real-world rewards, such as discounts at participating stores, for an extra incentive to drive safely.
Popular Distracted Driving Apps
New apps appear every day, but these are some of the most popular distracted driving apps on the market.
- AT&T DriveMode
- TrueMotion Family
Selecting one that works for you can help you stay safe on the roadway and help prevent some of the 1.6 million distracted driving accidents that occur each year.
Injured in an Accident? Call Shapiro & Sternlieb Today
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact Shapiro & Sternlieb, LLC, today online or at 732-851-1478 for your free legal consultation. We represent clients throughout Newark, Jersey City, and the surrounding areas of New Jersey.